Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oh Happy Day!

+JMJ+

If I were going to send a real postcard today, this would definitely be it.  Why?  Well, I wish I would have gotten a better picture, but these guys had a huge knife sharpener in the back of this little truck and were standing right here in this side street sharpening swords and kitchen knives!!  It's true!!  I don't even have words!

Here are the study session pictures I promised yesterday:

Studying Italian!
Studying Italian...
STUDYING ITALIAN!!
Studying Italian...?
Obviously, I was awake to take that last picture, but that's about where I ended.  I mean, I had a lot to do!  My professor had assigned the entire first two units of the book!

...Or so I thought.  Let me give you a little bit more background.  Because my class if full of students from all over the world, the lectures are not taught in English; they are entirely in Italian, with a few Spanish and English words thrown in here and there.  Now, did I mention that I know practically ZERO Italiano??  You can probably see where this is going.  When I showed up to class today, I asked one of my friends about the homework, to which she responded, "We weren't assigned any homework...?"  Oh.  Well, I guess I'm two units ahead now.  It was pretty funny.

I had Italian class all day today.  My brain is feeling more tired (stanco) than Italian at the moment.  But, it is a tired and happy brain.  I am exhausted, I have a TON to learn, and I am so happy.  Praise be to God!

Also, lesson of the day: DO NOT try to go for a "quick" visit to St. Peter's after noon on a Wednesday.  Guess what Wednesdays are?  Papal audiences.  "Hey, why don't we just go see St. Peter's after the papal audience in the morning while we're here anyway?" said every tourist ever.  I tried to go during my lunch break (understand that my lunch break is three hours long), and I still didn't have near enough time.  Be warned!

Ok, I have to try to study a bit more tonight.  I will try to post in Italiano sometime soon!  Buona notte!

6 comments:

  1. wow...your blogs are very helpful....my daughter and i read them and just crack-up

    she is considering going to rome via the thomas more program in spring ...we will continue to read your blogs and hopefully learn something!

    congrats by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying my blogs! I don't know if you clicked on the link to my old blog (followerintorome.blogspot.com), but it might come in handy as far as understanding the everyday experience in the life of a Thomas More student in Rome. I studied with the program last semester and kept up with that blog regularly during that time. I'm glad you found my new blog, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup..saw your earlier blog...it should be required reading for any student going to rome!

    if you don't mind, could we post some questions somewhere down the line..we are pretty clueless about the trip....
    (although mr assaf has been very helpful)... a friend of yours kim s. said we could contact her via facebook in the future as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. All true, and yes, feel free to post questions! I'll do my best to give you a good answer, either from my own experience, or from research I've done or can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks erin....
      we appreciate it....thanks for the offer to research
      for us, but can see you are far too busy for that..have about 20 somewhat mundane questions (like timing return airline ticket/what you would bring etc/bus/transportation etc), in other words stuff from a students perspective....i don't want to hijack your blog though....
      Just showed my daughter your elevator post! Keep posting when you can..we are learning from each post!



      Delete