Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mamma Mia, Here I Go Again!


I’m baaaaaaaaaaaaaack.  I’m typing this post from 35,000 feet in the air somewhere between Indianapolis and New York (sitting in the back, right by the bathroom…).  Usually at this time of year, I’m flying in the opposite direction, down to Ave Maria University.

However, I am not going back to Ave Maria.  I am going back to ROME!  Surprise!!!!  Believe me, it’s a surprise for me too.  I didn’t find out until about three weeks ago that I would be going back for sure.

Let’s back up a little bit.  I spent the spring semester studying abroad in Rome as a sophomore with Ave Maria University.  As you could probably tell from my last blog, I loved being over there.  There are so many particulars I could point out, the city, the Churches, the Holy Father, the culture, the food, but what I think was most beautiful about my time in Rome was that I felt like my whole way of life was elevated.  I lived more simply, yet more richly, and learned a lot about depending on Divine Providence—and I LOVED it.  The possibility of returning someday to continue my studies or to work crossed my mind more than once.  However, even my elevated lifestyle and musings of returning wouldn’t have been enough for me to up and decide to leave everything to go back.  Anyone who knows me pretty well could probably tell you that it takes a lot to motivate me to go after something big, or even not so big, for myself.  I’m typically a more of a receiver than a “go getter.” 

The good Lord knows that’s how I operate, so that’s how He presented the opportunity to return to Rome: as something I basically only had to say yes to.  Really, it is amazing how little work I myself have done to make this happen.  (Side note: I have never been on such a short, tiny flight on which SO MANY people have to use the bathroom.  I’m pretty sure half the plane has been in and out of there by now!)  Anyway, if you talk to any foreign student studying in Rome, they will tell you the two hardest things about their position are finding a place to live and a way to support themselves.  Suddenly, by the grace of God, I had both of these offered to me.  As a friend I made in Rome put it when I explained my situation, “This doesn’t just happen.”  My musings about returning to Rome went from mere thoughts to a lot of prayer and a lot of paperwork.

The more I prayed about it, the more clear it became that it was God’s will for me to pursue this, whether or not it came to be in the end.  With more prayer came more peace, more paperwork, and more small miracles.  If I were to describe them all here, this blog post would be much too long.

Just about three weeks ago, I received the official acceptance letter I needed to apply for a student visa.  Just four days ago, my visa (with my PASSPORT) arrived in the mail.  Just about three hours ago, I said goodbye to my family, and headed through security with my one-way ticket to catch my flight to Rome.  It is hard to believe this is happening!!

So what will I be doing in Rome?  I will be studying theology and philosophy at the Pontifical College of the Holy Cross, hereafter referred to as Santa Croce.  I will be working as an RA for American students studying abroad.  I will (hopefully!) be learning Italian VERY quickly.  First and foremost, though, I pray that I will be living in the most holy and lovable will of God.  That is what motivates me to leave everything.  That is what brings me to Rome, and that is what I want to accomplish there.  And I'm going to have fun doing it!!  I am SO excited, and even though there are a lot of hard things about this, I am so happy and so humbled to be going back.  Thank you to everyone who has helped me, encouraged me,  and prayed for me!  Please, keep the prayers coming! And keep up with my blog!

I will post this as soon as I have internet access (which is guaranteed nowhere as long as I am in Rome).

“Blessed and beloved be the most holy will of God!” –St. Josemaria Escriva

3 comments:

  1. That's great! Happy for you Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JMJ

    i recognize the espresso cup and table from Big Ben!! love it! ;) glad you arrived safely in the eternal city. can't wait to come visit!! ps - i think you should link to this blog on your old blog in a final post so people that are still going to your old blog can easily find this one!

    can't wait to see what adventures and joys and challenges Jesus has in store for you!!

    <3 Wiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. PTL, God is indescribably awesome! We are praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete